Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Homeward Bound

Today is the 2 year anniversary of 3m Highway! (Thank you for your readership.) I thought a post on character and a tribute would be fitting. I think Dad would agree that the character of his sister is a great lesson for our life.

~~~~~~~

"If at least one person has been brought to know Christ through my suffering over the past 21 years, then it has all been worth it." A quote (as I heard it) from a Godly woman, my dear Aunt Debbie.

Is there some character trait in you that stands out? Is this trait of worth? You see, there is a dominant character trait (among others) that everyone sees in Aunt Debbie and it is of a righteous worth. It is a trait of humility. It is a trait of service. It lacks self. It is, well...love.


Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not its own, is not provoked, taketh not account of evil; rejoiceth not in unrighteousness, but rejoiceth with the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Love never faileth:
(1 Corinthians 13:4-8)

Of those who know my Aunt Debbie, if you take each part of the above scripture, does it not describe the mission of her life; the grace of God woven throughout her being? She has suffered long. She is so very kind and giving of herself. As far as I've known her, she has never seemed to be an envious person. She does not praise herself, nor is prideful, but she serves others quietly and humbly. She does not behave in such a way that would bring her heavenly Father, nor her earthly family, dishonor. She does not seek her own; she has always done for others and has always been genuinely interested in the lives of others. She is not easily provoked (except maybe the time that I spent with them in the summer and I refused to eat my brussel sprouts). She does not keep account of evil of others, but forgives a wrong done. However, she does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rather encourages others in holiness. Above all, she rejoices in the truth of the gospel, of Jesus Christ. She has beared much in her years of earthly suffering, all the while believing in all things, hoping in all things and enduring all things. All because she is love and has been made love by a loving and gracious God.


As I quoted in a recent post of a sermon by Don Fortner, we have all led a checkered life. It's been full of pain, disappointment, heavy burden, but it has all been meant for good. The past 20 plus years of pain, treatment, blood transfusions, elation at remission and devastation of recurrence has every single bit been meant for good. How can there be any good in such things as these? Is the good something that we can see immediately? No, not necessarily. We know that to God, a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as one day. We do not know the fruits of this joyful woman's plight, but I know there are some. Why do I know this? Because of God's promise. Because of God's promise of good. Because it is said in scripture that love never fails. Never means forever, even after this earthly journey comes to an end.


We do not know how many days are left for Aunt Debbie on her earthly pilgrimage. We do know that as the tears burn our cheeks at the thought of continuing on our journey without her daily encouragement, service and love, we will join her again. Afterall, all who are in Christ are homeward bound...and what a rejoicing there will be on that day.


I am so thankful to you, dear servant, wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt and friend, for blessing me (all of us) with your love that will never fail. You are amazing and we love you! I am so thankful to our precious Savior, for bestowing His righteousness on you. I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit working through you and giving you endurance on your earthly ministry. May we all have a character trait that is of worth, that brings God glory and others good, as you have.


Being therefore always of good courage, and knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord (for we walk by faith, not by sight); we are of good courage, I say, and are willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be at home with the Lord. Wherefore also we make it our aim, whether at home or absent, to be well-pleasing unto him. (2 Corinthians 5:6-9)

And he hath said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my power is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

But by the grace of God I am what I am:
(1 Corinthians 15:10)

Rejoice in the Lord always: again I will say, Rejoice.
(Philippians 4:4)

7 comments:

  1. Michelle, your mom sent me your blog site. Thank you so much for this wonderful tribute to an amazing woman of God. I wish more people could have known Debbie....seen what perseverance looks like in the face of physical suffering, what true trust in the Lord means...and so much more. Who knew when we were growing up that I would be blessed to be related to her!! A friend before, a cousin by marriage, but best of all, a sister in Christ. The tears are so close, they do burn, especially for the entire Campbell/Hume family and the loss we will feel when God takes her home. But what a tremendous blessing to know we WILL see her again. Thank you for sharing, Michelle. Love you.

    Becky Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful sister-in-law and great friend! Becky said it best. Thank you so much for this. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the grace of God I'll meet you,
    By the grace of God I'll meet you,
    By the grace of God I'll meet you
    On Canaan's happy shore!

    There we'll shout and give Him glory,
    There we'll shout and give Him glory,
    There we'll shout and give Him glory
    For glory is His name!

    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Michelle. Thanks to God for providing this touching post, through you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle thanks so much for sharing this amazing tribute to your Aunt Debbie. I was truly blessed by it. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and all the family. Love in Christ, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so touching. What a special lady and how wonderful that she has made an impact on so many!

    ReplyDelete

Comments