Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Advent Calendar

I love Advent Calendars. I don't really have a good reason for liking them. There is not really anything significant or meaningful about them; they are just a countdown to Christmas. Some have placed a religious meaning behind them, but that is not the actual history. They originated in the 19th century by German Lutherans, but not for religious reasons. The main purpose was to simply count down the days until December 25.

The first advent calendar coming to my attention and creating an interest in me was from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Do you recall the calm countdown to Christmas Day (a door or window opening) amongst all the chaos?

Since I don't have an extravagant Advent Calendar (actually, I only have a $1 cardboard cut out with chocolates that I bought my daughter), I thought I would create my own Advent here on the blog with a daily countdown to Christmas.

December 1:

Genesis 1:1-4
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.
And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness.



1 comment:

  1. What a great idea for this blog. It will be meaningful to many. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments